A suitable office desk can significantly impact your comfort, productivity, and overall well-being. It can help prevent pain and discomfort caused by prolonged sitting or poor posture.
The right size and shape for your surface with ample storage space can help you stay organised and efficient, allowing you to focus on your tasks instead of searching for supplies or tools.
A well-designed modular office workstation can help you and your staff feel more comfortable and productive, which can positively impact your business. Following this definitive guide will help you make an informed decision when purchasing.
1. Choose an Appropriate Sized Work Desk
When choosing an appropriate-sized surface to undertake your job, it is essential to consider the amount of space available in the designated area and the type of tasks you will be doing each day.
A general rule of thumb is to have at least 30 inches of depth and 48 inches of width for a single person's surface. You will need at least 60 inches of width for a two-person set-up.
2. Check the Modular Office Workstation Height
If purchasing for staff other than yourself, consider the surface height to suit individual needs. We recommend the height allows users to comfortably rest their forearms on the surface while typing or using a mouse.
The ideal height is typically between 28 inches and 30 inches for most adults. If the table furniture is adjustable, the individual user can set it to the correct height for them.
3. Determine a Suitable Size
When multiple employees undertake business activities in the same space, you may choose tables that seat numerous people. You need to consider the following:
- How many people you wish to seat in one area.
- Types of tasks to be undertaken, e.g. design, video editing, programming.
- Space availability in the area.
Once you have assessed these factors, you can determine the appropriate size for the table and accessories for cable management and monitor arms.
It's also important to consider future needs so that you don't have to replace any furniture after a short period.
4. Type of Office Desk
A complete modular office workstation is only ideal for some set-up. Several types of office desks and tables may function well for your business, including the following:
- Executive - typically larger and designed for high-level executives
- L-shaped - designed to fit in a corner and maximise space
- U-shaped - similar to L-shaped desks, but with an added section for additional room
- Straight - a simple and traditional design with a rectangular shape
- Adjustable - allows employees to undertake their role while standing, sitting or alternating between both
- Computer - specifically designed for computer and technology use
- Reception - used in reception or lobby areas for a professional and organised appearance
- Collaborative - designed for team and group projects
Choose the Perfect Desk with Area Office
Having the perfect desk is essential for achieving optimal productivity. When considering your choices, think about the tasks you and your employees do and what features will help you complete your daily duties.
Want assistance choosing what's suitable for your business or home workspace? Contact our friendly and experienced team no matter where you are in Australia.